This month we launched our Investor Insight Series featuring Primary VC, Red Bear Angels, SeedInvest, KiWi Ventures, Next View Ventures, and Canary Ventures.
The opportunity to discuss emerging tech trends within the retail and e-commerce space provided small business owners to meet investors and gain practical advice on how to grow and fund their brands.
The top five trends in e commerce that the venture capitalists on panel shared included:
1) E Commerce start-ups are becoming increasingly attractive acquisition targets for main-line companies – as they succeed in acquiring customer segments utilizing social engagement platforms, employing new technologies and building innovative distribution models using the e commerce channel. Example: Unilever bought Dollar Shave Club for $ 1 billion in 2016.
2) Savvy e-commerce start-ups are testing and refining their business models more quickly by raising money using crowd-funding sites like Indiegogo.
3) A new breed of e Commerce start-ups are combining online shopping and brick-and-mortar stores offering value and convenience, like UberEats and MealPal – a lunch program that gives customers access to the best restaurants for lunch for less than $6 per meal in select cities.
4) Some e-commerce start-up are enjoying huge success by offering just one great product such as the AllBirds wool knit loafer – rather than trying to be all things to all people – like Amazon.com.
5) Future e commerce opportunities will include inventing ways to meet the needs of specific target segments – like using drones and driver-less cars to deliver merchandise to Millennial Generation consumers who don’t own / drive cars.
Learn more about our panel events this month focused on adtech & media, emerging tech in real estate, and cryptocurrencies within the fintech space.